Pages

Monday 23 April 2012

The Saturday interview: Professor Mary Beard

"I'm trending on Twitter," says the professor of classics at Cambridge as we walk to the departure lounge at Heathrow's terminal five. But it's not all good news.

One reason Mary Beard's trending is that some viewers have been unpleasant about what she looks like on Meet the Romans, her three-part BBC2 TV series that started on Tuesday.

"I've been getting tweets like 'Can't she brush her hair?', 'Shouldn't she be sexing herself up a bit?', 'Did
 she try to look so haggard?' Lucky I've got a thick skin. Sometimes you think they're writing this after half a bottle of wine, and I feel like writing back after more than half a bottle: 'Actually, that's what a 57-year-old woman looks like.'"

Don't do that, I counsel. "Well, I have a different approach to tweets addressed to me personally than those where I'm the hashtag." But what if someone tweets you personally criticising your appearance? "Then I'll write back saying 'What do you mean, actually?'" She's got to work on her comeback tweets.         More Read

No comments:

Post a Comment

free counters

Map